The Diversity Excellence Scholarship (DES) recognizes the academic achievement and potential of students who, through sharing their varied cultural perspectives, will enhance the education of all UO students and the excellence of the University. The University of Oregon offers these tuition-remission scholarships as part of our diversity mission.
Annual award amounts for 2015-16 were $6,500 for undergraduate students and $9,000 for graduate students. These are renewable scholarships based on your grade level. The DES selection committee determines the amount and duration of each award.
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident.
- Apply for admission by January 15, if you are an incoming student, or be a currently enrolled UO student in good academic standing.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the federal processor no later than February 1. List the UO as one of your first six choices. The school code is 003223.
- Meet the DES minimum GPA requirements. All applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or greater to be considered.
How to Apply
Applications are now closed for the 2016-17 academic year.
Submit the Diversity Excellence Scholarship Application by January 15. A letter of recommendation written by a school official, teacher, member of a community organization, or employer must be received by the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships no later than January 27.
In addition to the online application and letter of recommendation, a complete application includes the following:
- An application for admission to the University submitted by January 15 for incoming freshmen, transfer, and graduate students
- Official transcripts—all applicants’ academic transcripts are part of scholarship consideration
- Incoming freshmen, transfer students, new graduate applicants, and new law applicants submit transcripts as part of their applications for admission. These documents must be received by the Office of Admissions by January 27
- Continuing students' UO transcripts and academic records from other institutions received by the Office of Admissions will be assessed and reviewed during scholarship selection
- FAFSA submitted to the federal processor no later than February 1. List the UO as one of your first six choices. The school code is 003223.
Scholarship recipients are selected by the Diversity Excellence Scholarship selection committee based on the following:
- Past academic performance
- Participation in campus or community activities
- Preference given to students from underrepresented racial/ethnic minorities
- Preference given to students with financial need as defined by federal guidelines
- Preference given to first generation of the family to attend college
- Preference given to Oregon residents
To maintain scholarship eligibility, you must:
- Maintain full-time student status
- Maintain a minimum 3.00 UO GPA
- Make satisfactory progress toward completion of a degree
- Meet regularly with a scholarship advisor
Notification of awards for 2016-17 will be mailed during the week of April 15.
Note: This award cannot be combined with some tuition-remission programs such as University of Oregon staff tuition rates or Graduate Teaching Fellowships.