The Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan is offered to qualified parents of dependent undergraduate students with financial aid eligibility. Read additional information about the Parent PLUS.
Apply for a PLUS Loan:
- Go to StudentAid.gov (secure site)
- Log in using parent FSA ID and password and apply
- If you are a first-time borrower or if you have had an endorser on a previous PLUS loan, complete a Mastery Promissory Note (MPN)
|Three term maximum||Limited to financial aid eligibility|
|Interest rate||Fixed at 6.28%|
|Net fee per disbursement||4.228%|
|Repayment begins||60 days after loan is fully disbursed (unless deferred)|
|Mastery Promissory Note (MPN)||Required|
If Your PLUS Loan Request Is Denied
There are three possible courses of action:
- Appeal the credit decision
- Call Direct Loans at 1-800-557-7394
- Appeal online at StudentAid.gov
- Pursue the PLUS with an endorser (cosigner)
- Complete online at StudentAid.gov
- Student requests additional unsubsidized loan in lieu of the PLUS
- The parent and student complete the Ineligible Parent Borrower for Direct PLUS Loan form.
Note: the maximum amount of additional unsubsidized loans is up to $4,000 per year for students with fewer than 90 earned credit hours, and up to $5,000 per year for students with 90 or more earned credit hours.