Rights and Responsibilities

As a financial aid recipient, you have a right to:

  • Have your eligibility for financial aid be determined in an equitable manner consistent with federal regulations and university policies
  • Be considered for those programs for which you qualify as long as funds are available
  • Receive information about how your financial aid eligibility was determined
  • Obtain full information about financial aid programs and pertinent regulations, policies, and procedures
  • Expect notification of your financial aid offer and any adjustments to it
  • Expect that your financial records, your parents’ financial records, and your financial aid offer information be kept confidential in accordance with the Federal Education Right to Privacy Act
  • Receive information about your student loan debt burden
  • Receive information regarding monthly and total repayment options available as well as debt management strategies

As a financial aid recipient, you are responsible for:

  • Supplying complete and accurate information on which we base your eligibility for aid
  • Using the aid offered for educationally related expenses as defined in the estimated student expenses
  • Completing entrance counseling before you receive your first loan disbursement
  • Reporting additional sources of financial assistance such as scholarships, stipends, and tuition waivers
  • Maintaining the same enrollment level throughout the term
  • Seeing a financial aid counselor if you withdraw from school.
  • Reporting any change in your status, including informing the university and your loan servicer of changes in your name, address, social security number, and graduation date. You must notify your loan servicer if you transfer to another school, withdraw from school, or drop below half-time enrollment in any term
  • Completing exit counseling about loan repayment when you graduate or leave the university
  • Repaying any loan you receive
  • Reporting any portion of grants and scholarships that exceed tuition, fees, books, and supplies as taxable income when filing your tax return